Tuesday, December 20, 2016

An Ode To The People Of My 20s And 2016

As 2016 comes to an end, and as I enter the doors of my 30s, I thought of reliving the memories of my 20s by thanking all those you helped me get through it. The last decade and the year 2016 were amazing in every sense. My first travel abroad, riding 3000+ Km from Delhi to Ladakh and back, exploring the beauty of Germany and the Silicon Valley, eating exotic food in Shanghai, freezing amidst the DMZ in South Korea, or experiencing the horrors of Dacau, everything etched in my memory forever. Be it getting my first job, to making it to my dream B-school, to the most amazing year that was 2016, my 20s have been amazing in every aspect. I’d like to honor a few of you for making it so amazing.

To Mom and Dad
Thank you for making me the man I am
Thank you for loving me unconditionally
Thank you for paying my college fees when I couldn't
Thank you for making sure I slept in comfort
Thank you for scolding me when I was wrong
Thank you for giving me advice when I needed it the most
Thank you for your wishes, blessings and faith in me
Know this, it is time for me to return the favor, and I won’t let you down.

To my Band of Brothers
For those moments when we bunked college and ended up playing cards in the next class room
For those moments when we explored haunted houses and abandoned lakes
For those moments when we were insulted for being teetotalers while in Goa
For those moments when I had to endure your snores while I struggled to sleep
For those moments when we rode till sunset in the mystic land of Ladakh
For those moments when we drove through the west coast celebrating the 'encaging' of our beloved BRO
For those moments when we shared 30ml of Pheni with 2 litres of coke
For those moments when we had beers like grown up men in Baveria
For those moments when we celebrated birthdays in the weirdest possible ways
For those moments when we discussed girls we could never have a shot with
For those moments when we fought like kids and forgot about it 2 min later
For those moments when we fell asleep in movie halls
For those moments when we just sat together in silence gazing at the beauty of mother nature
For those moments when we climbed up descending escalators at the malls    
For those moments when we celebrated being single on valentine’s day and hiding from the girls on Raksha Bhandan
For those moments when discussed randomness for hours on Whatsapp groups
For those moments when you made sure to catch up when you were in the city
For those moments when calls began with words like F*****, MC, BC, LKB, Hajaam
For those moments when we christened words like GMG, BIL, G-FIL, B-FIL, CF, ffRff etc (don’t ask me what each of it means :P)
Know this my Brothers, I know I can always trust you with my life and shall always be there for you guys.

 Here's to you guys



To the special women in my life (mother, sisters included)- this is gonna be big
For those moments when you prepared the most exciting dishes I relished
For those moments when you constantly kept calling to know when I was coming home
For those moments when we bunked college and decided not to act our age
For those moments when you slapped/punched/abused me (some I deserved, some I took just to see the look on your face)
For those moments when you drenched my shoulders with your tears
For those moments when you looked so gorgeous that I couldn’t get my eye off you
For those moments when you were the talk of the day when I was with my friends
For those moments when you asked me to wake you up and I did, only to hear you yell at me for doing so
For those moments when fought with me for switching channels when you were engrossed into the TV
For those moments when you made my cry on the happiest day of your life
For those moments when you brought life into this world, making me a proud uncle
For those moments when you made me change the diapers of the very life you created
For those moments when you simply passed a fleeting smile, thus making my day
For those moments when you hesitated to sit on my bike
For those moments when you asked me to protect you from mom and dad
For those moments when you made me have my first sip of booze
For those moments when you and I lunched and dined at restaurants that asked us to leave
For those moments when we were asked to shut up for being too loud at movie theaters
For those moments when you walked out of restaurants for bad service, leaving me to deal with it
For those moments when I was stood up or stuck in the middle of nowhere waiting for you to show up
For those moments when we discussed random nonsense on Whatsapp till 2 am
For those moments when you said goodbye with a smile, promising to keep in touch (but never did)
For those moments when you didn’t forget to wish me on my birthday
For those moments when you hugged me when I felt lost in life
For those moments when you asked me to man up and take control of my life
For those moments when you told me that you didn’t like the color of my thoughtful gift
For those moments when you decided not to invite me for your wedding
For those moments when you invited me for your wedding and I decided to go on a trek instead
For those moments when you called me crying, telling me you had broken up with a guy
For those moments when you told me to be a good son and spend time at home
For those moments when you yelled at me while being my (temporary)crazy driving instructor
For those moments to told me to have some self-respect instead of being the saint
For those moments I had to calm you down after you had a terrible day
For those nonstop chatter in coffee shops, cafeterias, and office lunch tables
For those moments when we discussed national politics like it was our day job
For those moments of cajoling I had to do just to see you get back your smile
For all the gifts I gave you which you in turn decided to give your boyfriends

Ladies, thanks for being a part of my life. It is you ladies that make my life colorful.
Know this, I will always be there for you

Here's to you lovely ladies




To all my mentors, managers and teachers
Thank you for allowing me to make and learn
Thank you for not answering me when I questioned you, thus helping me explore the answers myself
Thank you for those words of advice and knowledge imparted
Thank you for having faith in me and giving me responsibility
Thank you for fighting of the wolves when I was vulnerable
Thank you for making me the small success I am
Know this, I will always be grateful to you



And to those countless people in life who have made my 20s worthwhile (NaMo, Raga, included).
Know this, I thank you with all my heart and soul.
I hope you’ll stay in touch throughout my 30s

Here's to you my friends


I’ll leave you with a verse from one of my favorite songs

So take the photographs, and still-frames in your mind
Hang it on the shelf of good health and good time
Tattoo's of memories and dead skin on trial
For what it's worth, it was worth all the while
It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right
I hope you had the time of your life
It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right
I hope you had the time of your life
It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right
I hope you had the time of your life”






No comments:

Post a Comment